DJI has announced a new Ronin-series gimbal, the RS 3 Mini, to satisfy the needs of travellers and vloggers who want something lightweight and compact. The RS3 Mini is a direct competitor of the Moza AirCross S and the ZHIYUN Crane M3, both already reviewed on FirstQuadcotper.com.
The DJI RS 3 Mini gimbal features in a compact size a 1.4-inch colour touchscreen, Bluetooth shutter control, a 3rd generation stabilization algorithm, native horizontal and vertical switching, and up to 2kg payload. At just 795g, the RS3 Mini is 50% lighter than the RS 3 Pro and 40% lighter than the original RS 3. The new Mini can easily support popular full-frame mirrorless camera setups, such as the Sony a7S III with Sony’s FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM lens. Furthermore, DJI states that the system will cope with extending zoom lenses without the need to rebalance.
It’s new dual-layer quick-release plates allows vertical shooting (ideal for social media content such as TikTok and Instagram reels) without requiring additional accessories or restricting the stabilizer’s movements. For advanced features, the DJI RS3 Mini works in tandem with the Ronin mobile app that provides additional functions like AI Tracking, Timelapse, and Panorama.
DJI claims 10hrs of continuous use with a single charge that can be done in less than 3 hours. The gimbal can be charged with a USB power pack during use as well.
DJI RS 3 Mini: Key features
- [A Breakthrough in a Compact Body] RS 3 Mini adopts an innovative redesign that includes a smaller build, integrated battery, and native vertical shooting capability. The compact and portable body can easily fit into a shoulder bag, allowing you to travel light. When in use, RS 3 Mini is about half the size of the RS 3 Pro, making it more convenient for long-duration use.
- [Super Light, Easy to Control] RS 3 Mini weighs only 795 g (1.75 lbs) in Portrait mode, approximately 50% lighter than RS 3 Pro and 40% lighter than RS 3. It weighs only 850 g (1.8 lbs) when shooting with the horizontal plate. Additionally, a concentrated centre of balance provides a more stable and ergonomic hand-held experience.
- [Effortlessly Powerful] RS 3 Mini has a payload capacity of up to 2 kg (4.4 lbs), making it best-in-category at its weight, letting it easily handle larger setups like a Sony A7S3 + 24-70mm F2.8 GM lens. It supports mainstream full-frame or APS-C mirrorless cameras, enabling a wide range of camera and lens combinations. With high-torque motors, RS 3 Mini can retain stable shooting when zooming to max focal lengths on most lenses without the need for rebalancing.
- [Professional Stabilization] With the same outstanding 3rd-Gen RS Stabilization algorithm as the Pro, Mini can achieve professional-grade image stabilization. Whether capturing a low-angle shot, or shooting in flashlight mode, your shots stay stable.
- [Creative AI video modes]
- Subject Circling: Shooting around human subjects? Leave it to RS 3 Mini to achieve smooth camera movements effortlessly. You don’t need to pay too much attention to footwork and pace.
- Subject Tracking: Compared with fixed-position shooting holding a camera, RS 3 Mini can follow people steadily and switch between high and low angles for a more diverse range of shots.
- 3D Roll 360: Dynamic 360°-rotation imaging delivers a strong visual impact and eye-catching shots.
- [New Dual-Layered Quick-Release Plate] An upgraded dual-layered quick-release plate features an upper plate with a curved placement guide that prevents the camera from rotating and loosening. With clear mounting and locking marks, launch and storage efficiency are further enhanced. It also follows the ARCA standard, allowing for convenient switching between tripods.
- [Native Vertical Shooting for Tiktokers] The RS series has made a breakthrough in native vertical shooting on RS 3 Mini. Switch to vertical instantly without additional accessories. Just mount the standard Quick-Release Plate to the gimbal’s vertical arm and film content that’s optimized for social media platforms.
- [Bluetooth Shutter Control] RS 3 Mini comes with the same Bluetooth shutter control that debuted on RS 3 Pro. This function supports mainstream mirrorless camera models and allows RS 3 Mini to automatically reconnect with a camera after the initial pairing.
- [Dedicated Gimbal Mode Switch Button] Press the M button to switch between PF (Pan Follow), PTF (Pan and Tilt Follow), and FPV mode. Photographers can also customize the follow speed and other parameters of RS 3 Mini on the touchscreen, facilitating a smoother and more intuitive shooting experience.
- [1.4″ Full-Color Touchscreen] RS 3 Mini features a 1.4-inch full-color touchscreen with a new UI. Adjust most functions without the app and access common settings quickly and intuitively.
- [All day long shooting experience] The integrated battery grip supports up to 10 hours of runtime, providing sufficient power to fully meet the shooting needs of all-day use. Recharge RS 3 Mini in as little as 2.5 hours to get back to shooting quickly. You can even use it while charging.
|Dimensions||Folded: 323×195×98 mm
Unfolded: 180×159×296 mm
|Weight||Portrait mode: 795 g (1.75 lbs)
Horizontal shooting mode: 850 g (1.8 lbs)
Extended Grip/Tripod: Approx. 128 g (0.2 lbs)
|Tested Payload by DJI||0.4-2 kg (0.8-4.4 lbs)|
|Maximum Controlled Rotation Speed||Pan: 360°/s
|Mechanical Range||Pan Axis: 360° continuous rotation
Roll Axis: -95° to +240°
Tilt Axis: -10° to +210°
|Accessory Port||1/4″-20 Mounting Hole
RSS Camera Control Port (USB-C)
NATO Expansion Port
USB-C Charging Port
Type: 18650 Li-ion 2S
Capacity: 2450 mAh
Energy: 17.64 Wh
Operating Time: 10 hours 
Charging Specification: 5 V/2 A
Charging Time: Approx. 2.5 hours 
|Camera compatibility||Check here|
Pricing and availability
The DJI RS 3 Mini is available now for only $369. It may not share all of the advanced features as the larger Pro ($869), but it’s 500 bucks cheaper making the perfect choice for those who need a compact camera stabilizer.